Monday, December 28, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

In 2010, I am going to begin a personal liberation. It'll be fantastic and empowering... kinda like Women's Lib only minus (most of) the bra burning and soapboxes.

The general idea of this liberation is that I will be me. Not some watered down, socially correct version, or the version I think my parents will approve of, or the version that's most likely to land me an amazing job when I get out of school. I'm going to be the version of me that feels right to me and trust that to provide me with all the good reputation and opportunities that being fake does.

"I gotta be free to be me," chant the voices of a thousand adolescents. Gag, how trite.

But I'm not going to be trite about it. This isn't about going against my parents for the heck of it or dying my hair blue or sticking it to The Man (though, for the record, that sounds really fun). The real idea here is that I'm going to get all the unwanted voices in my head out of my head. It's a heck of a challenge... but that's kinda the point.

This is going to be a process of constant refinement. A lot of it will probably fall neatly into my experiments/this blog, so you'll get to witness the journey. (Oy vey!) A lot of it is still fuzzy to me right now, but that's okay; I trust that it'll all come to light in good time.

For now, that's the idea. My voice. My choices. My opinions. Whatever they are.

Other resolutions not directly/obviously related to the liberation:

1. Become a self-sufficient adult. Increase income, enough to cover an apartment, a car, school fees and the necessities of life.

2. Introduce some variety into my diet. Man should not live on starch and sugar alone, though I've certainly been making a go at it.

3. Find a boyfriend. Get into a real relationship. Find some way to actually believe--to any degree--in romantic love.

4. Get at least 1,000 views on this blog before the end of winter semester.

5. Submit my novel to at least 25 agents.

6. Let things go. "Things" meaning possessions, relationships, desires, whatever. Holding onto things weighs you down.

7. Exercise in a fun way.

More will be added as I decide on it.

1 comments:

AggieMay said...

Sounds like quite the adventure. Hope the discoveries are interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing what experiments and conclusions you come up with. Best of luck!

Post a Comment