Saturday, March 27, 2010

Artist Dates - #8

Format: Five artist dates.

Goal: Go out. Enjoy my own company doing something other than homework.

Goal met? And how!

Terms you should know:
Artist Date: "A once-weekly, festive, solo expedition to explore something that interests you. The Artist Date need not be overtly 'artistic' --- think mischief more than mastery." - Julia Cameron 

So here’s what happened:
I used to go on occasional artist dates with myself. The concept of the Artist Date comes from Julia
Cameron's The Artist's Way, a journal/monologue/workbook/self-help/inspirational book that's meant to help you reignite your creativity. (You can visit Amazon's page for the book through the link on the left.) Though Cameron's official definition of an artist date is that it happens once a week and is solo, I broadened my horizons, decided I could do it whenever I got a chance and could include people. My goal was not to ignite my creativity --- though that never hurts --- but to reaffirm that yes, there is a life outside of school and work and yes, it is accessible to me here now.

About my dates: They are cheap and they are brief. I can't afford expensive candlelit restaurants and glamorous theaters (though, having taken myself out to both in the past, I can say with some authority that they're totally worth doing) and have to limit myself to things in walking distance that fit into my semi-tight schedule. I plan on doing this again in the future with more dedication, time and money, so consider this the preliminary round.

Date 1: I bought a bamboo. It was a 20-minute date, if that, and shopping's not normally exciting, but you have to understand a few things. First, I love houseplants. Two, it's a bamboo. How cool is that? Three, it qualifies as a date and not an errand because made a special expedition out of my warm cozy house and into the arctic chill to go get it at the plant sale. That's serious right there. Anyway, it was nice. I got to enjoy the scant sunshine and baby the thing on the way home, and now it's sitting on my desk looking green and eastern and beautiful.

Date 2: Went to see When in Rome with a friend and her roommate. It was fun. I forget how much I love movies --- I don't watch them super-often (while I confess to a slight Lois and Clark addiction at the moment, that's a TV show, not a movie, and they are totally different creatures) and whenever I do watch them, I'm multitasking. It was good to just sit back and veg. And, on the self-development front, the movie totally re-reminded me of how much I love the idea of Italy and want to live in New York.

Date 3: Watched Labyrinth, on purpose and not while juggling three other things. Yes, I get that this is starting to revolve around TV... but TV worth watching! Labyrinth is a creative extravaganza and reminded me again of why I'm in school, why I'm going to get out of it someday, and how I want to focus my career and free time.

Date 4: Went and saw --- I know, I know, they're all movies... there's not a lot to do around here! --- Autumn Sonata, which is a very odd, provocative and lovely movie directed by Ingmar Bergman. Really enjoyable, especially as it was in Swedish and Swedish is one of the languages of my childhood.

Date 4: Went country and then Latin dancing, one on Wednesday and one on Friday. It was so much fun. I haven't been dancing in ages and it's awkward to go alone, but this time I got to go with my cousin who was up visiting for the week. We had so much fun, I was reminded once again that my cousins are awesome, and I got to dance and flirt with boys. And men. Freaking amazing. Dancing is one of those low-pressure, low-commitment, high-energy activities that I love, and I got some pretty good stories out of it, too...

What I learned:

Try this:
1. Go places alone sometimes. Be bold. Granted, a lot of these things (like dancing) are a lot more fun when you do them with people you like, but you'll never meet people you like without getting out there alone once in a while.

2. Movies are actually a pretty respectable way to spend an evening. Not as cool as bamboo plants and dancing, but still enjoyable alone or with someone.

3. Always have an escape route. The dance was fun but we sort of (okay, not sort of) got stalked by... well, not the sort of person you'd want to get stalked by.

4. Get thee out of thine apartment, even if it's cold/you're tired/it's a long walk. It's usually worth it. Not always --- let's not delude ourselves --- but usually. If you lack all semblance of self-control, like I do, this is the most challenging part. "Just do it" is the best advice I've got right now; as soon as I come up with something more brilliant, I'll let you know.

Next challenge: Don't know yet... Letter-writing, maybe

Photos by TroyMason and zabara_tango

0 comments:

Post a Comment